Sunday, February 27, 2011

Pancake Day

Every Sunday, for the past 3 years, has been Pancake Day at our house. It started off with pancakes made with freshly ground Organic Hard Red Winter Wheat. Then one Christmas morning I made my Grandma's Pumpkin Puff Pancakes which became a family favorite. My oldest son requested them for his birthday breakfast 6 months in advance. Then my little man was diagnosed with a wheat allergy. I tried about half the Gluten Free Pancake mixes out there and they all had what I call the "Gluten Free funk". I have yet to figure out what it is that gives them that weird "funky" after taste, but it is not good. I gave up on GF pancakes and started serving my youngest GF frozen waffles while we all ate pancakes. He didn't seem to mind but I always felt bad for him being left out. Last month, in a last ditch effort at making GF pancakes, I ordered the Gluten Free Mama's Pancake/Waffle Mix from Azure Standard. I'm so happy that I did! The mix is fabulous, no funk at all. I've used the mix for the last 3 weeks and everyone has loved them. Today I added 1/2 cup of Organic Pumpkin, 1 tsp. Cinnamon, 1/4 tsp. ginger, and 1 tsp Organic Vanilla Extract to the recipe on the back of the package and once again our Pumpkin Pancakes are back.  Thank you Gluten Free Mama for making our Pancake Day enjoyable again.

http://www.glutenfreemama.com/



2 comments: