Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Spanish Tortilla

Recently I was watching an episode of Tyler's Ultimate about making the Ultimate Omelette. Since I raise my own Organic Free Range Chickens I am always looking for new ways to cook eggs. The recipe that caught my attention from this episode was Maria Castillo's Spanish Tortilla. I made my own dairy free version right after watching the show.

Here is the link to Maria's recipe.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tylers-ultimate/spanish-tortilla-recipe/index.html

And here is my version.

5 large organic potatoes, diced
1 large organic onion, diced
2-4 cloves organic garlic, minced
2 tbsp evoo, plus 2 tbsp.
10 free-range, organic eggs
1/2 tsp salt, plus 1/2 tsp
1/4 cup organic rice milk (approx. I just eyeball it)
1/4 cup mayonnaise (approx. too, I'm not really into measuring)

Heat 2 tbsp. evoo in a large skillet, saute' onions and garlic till fragrant and soft. Add potatoes and salt, cook at med-high heat till soft and golden brown (about 10 minutes).

While potatoes are cooking, whisk eggs, milk, mayonnaise and remaining salt till frothy.

Add the remaining 2 tbsp evoo to the pan and then pour in egg mixture. This is where Maria's recipe made all the difference. You move the eggs around in the pan to help it rise. What I did was stir the center and ran a spatula around the edge of the eggs to make sure it wasn't sticking to the pan. When it was set on the bottom but still liquid on top I put it in the oven to broil for roughly 10 minutes until eggs set and the top was golden brown.

It turns out fluffy and delicious!!!

I made it again last night adding 2 stalks of celery (diced) when sauteing the onions and before putting it under the broiler I added 6 oz of soft fresh goat cheese to the top. And, then I had another piece for breakfast this morning.

10 gorgeous eggs from my beautiful chickens.

The finished product minus what we ate.

1 comment:

  1. I would never have thought of adding mayonnaise to an omelet or fritata, but I bet it does give it a slightly richer taste. I'll have to try that. We found some mayo that is corn and soy free.

    My 3-year-old son had severe eczema until he was diagnosed with food allergies a few months back. I have a blog that shares our family’s battles with eczema, allergies, and asthma (yes, lucky guy has that too).

    I think the key is to learn from one another, so the more information out there to the masses, the better. With this in mind I’ve started a blog hop for anyone dealing with allergies, eczema, or asthma, either for themselves or as a caregiver. If you’re interested in joining, please add a comment. I’d love to welcome you to the group. http://itchylittleworld.wordpress.com/blog-hop/


    Thanks.
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete